Ortega Forum
increase by

Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Ortega Forum // Voorbeeld Forum
Vorige onderwerp :: Volgende onderwerp  
Auteur Bericht
DMT

BerichtGeplaatst: 11-05-2018 09:37:03    Onderwerp: increase by Reageren met citaat
By Christine Lagat

NAIROBI, March 24 (Xinhua) -- Tom Onsongo had a brilliant acting career before he was diagnosed with a debilitating strain of tuberculosis (TB) several years ago, but the 67-year-old father of four never gave up in his quest for a brighter future.

Three decades ago, Onsongo was a familiar face in Kenya's television screens where he was a central character in riveting dramas touching on contemporary themes of the day.

His battle with tuberculosis suffered a blow when clinicians diagnosed him with the HIV virus but thanks to strict adherence to medication, good diet and positive attitude, the veteran thespian is still in good form.

Speaking at an event to mark World TB day in Nairobi on Friday, Onsongo said his life's journey after being diagnosed with the bacterial disease has been marked by triumphs in the face of adversity.

"I have struggled with a lethal strain of TB whose treatment has been complicated by my HIV positive status. It has been a tough journey living with a disease that many people associate with bad omen," said Onsongo.

His fervent advocacy for the right of HIV positive individuals to access quality treatment has been recognized by local and international benefactors.

Onsongo is among dozens of champions who have been enlisted by the Kenya's ministry of health to spearhead campaign against discrimination of people suffering from tuberculosis.

"Everyone has a right to live and enjoy privileges enshrined in the constitution irrespective of health status. I have not given up on life despite my HIV and TB co-infection," Onsongo told health advocates.

He belongs to a swelling rank of Kenyans who are grappling with health, social and economic implications of living with tuberculosis.

Statistics from the ministry of health indicates that 83,000 new TB cases were detected in 2015 and the figure could spike against a backdrop of poor hygiene in urban slums and shrinking funding towards prevention and treatment interventions.

The first post-independence TB survey conducted in Kenya between 2015 to 2017 revealed that infections have almost doubled among high risk groups like men, slum dwellers, factory workers and pastoralists.

Nevertheless, indefatigable TB champions like Eliud Chichi have not succumbed to ravages linked to the disease, having lived with it for almost two decades.

Chichi was a celebrated deep sea diver in his younger days before he was diagnosed with multi-drug resistant TB in 2009.

"Sometimes in the mid 90s, I was diagnosed with TB and the issue was quite devastating at that time since I was very young. The initial treatment regimen worked but a few years later, the disease recurred with more intensity," said Chichi.

His physician advised him to go for advanced screening when the symptoms linked to TB like persistent coughing, fever and headaches became severe.

"The revelation that I had multi-drug resistant (MDR) TB forced me to suspend my favorite sport of deep sea diving. Currently, I can only perform lighter tasks but am optimistic the condition will eventually disappear," said Chichi.

His comrade in arms, Walter Orina has also refused to succumb to stigma and economic hardships occasioned by nine years of living with a multi-drug resistant TB.

The 39-year-old father of three owns a medium sized printing business in downtown Nairobi though TB infection has slowed down expansion of the venture.

"My struggle with multi-drug resistant TB has been financially and physically draining but I have decided to be on the frontline to challenge myths and stereotypes on the disease," said Orina.

He belongs to a grassroots advocacy group that has campaigned against discrimination of people living with TB.

Kenyan campaigners have been consistent in their call for better policies to revitalize treatment and care of people living with dangerous strains of TB.

Evelyn Kibuchi, coordinator for Stop TB partnership, Kenyan chapter said that robust policy and funding interventions are an imperative to reduce the TB burden in Kenya.

"We are appealing to decision makers to enact policies that breathe fresh vitality in TB control programs. More importantly, we must explore new sources of finance in order to sustain the TB fight," said Kibuchi. Enditem

HO CHI MINH CITY cheap nike air force 1 shoes , Jan. 7 (Xinhua) -- Vietnam earned more than 6. 2 billion U.S. dollars from timber and wood-based exports in 2014, an increase of 11 percent year on year cheap nike air force 1 , local media reported Wednesday.

The export value rose due to increasing demands from major foreign markets such as the United States (up 12.5 percent) and Japan (up 18 percent), the Saigon Economic Times quoted sources from the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development as saying.

Meanwhile cheap air force 1 shoes , the country spent around 2.2 billion dollars on timber imports, up 34 percent year on year. The major import markets included Laos cheap air force 1 , which accounted for nearly 27 percent of the total import value, followed by Cambodia with nearly 12 percent Nike Air Force One Low Mens Silver Black On Sale , the U.S with 11.5 percent and China with 10.5 percent.

In 2014, the country's timber exploitation output reached nearly 6.5 million cubic meters Cheap Nike Air Force One Low Mens White , an increase of more than 15 percent from a year earlier, according to the ministry.

The ministry predicted timber and wood-based exports will increase by 15 percent this year.

Vietnam currently imports wood from almost 40 countries and exports to countries such as the United States Nike Air Force One Low Womens Pink Cheap , Japan, New Zealand Nike Air Force One Low Mens White Blue On Sale , Canada and the EU.

MADRID, Aug. 17 (Xinhua) -- At least two people were killed and some 20 others injured after a van rammed into crowd in the Spanish city of Barcelona Nike Air Force One Mid Mens White Red Cheap , local media reported Thursday.

The Catalan regional police force Mossos d'Esquadra informed of the incident, which took place in the tourist area of. Cheap Belgium Jerseys Cheap Argentina Jerseys Cheap Wales Jerseys Cheap USA Womens Soccer Jerseys Cheap Uruguay Soccer Jerseys Cheap Switzerland Soccer Jerseys Wholesale Sweden Jerseys Wholesale Spain Soccer Jerseys Wholesale Netherland Soccer Jerseys Wholesale Mexico Soccer Jerseys
Terug naar boven
Profiel bekijken Stuur privébericht
Nieuw onderwerp plaatsen   Reageren    Ortega Forum // Voorbeeld Forum Tijden zijn in GMT + 1 uur
Pagina 1 van 1

Ga naar: